Please click the link below to
see my visualization project I created to review myths of constellations.
1: I did a lot of looking around
at many different digital platforms. I bounced back and forth with many of
them. I could not think of what I wanted to do and how to present it. At first,
I wanted to make a comic strip of the myth of a constellation, then I wanted to
create my own myth for my own constellation I created, then I decided to create
a review of myths associated with a few constellations. Instead of using the
platform for an example of an activity my students would do/use, I decided to
create something they can look at for review and include it in my lesson. Using
the platform Voice Thread allowed me to use images and sound to create a series
of slides. I selected images that represented what I was talking about on each
slide. I wanted the pictures to be full of color to capture the audience’s
attention. I kept my slides short and sweet so they can retain the
information.
2: Creating this visualization helped me take the highlights of our readings we looked at and narrow it down to a few main points. It helped me break down the information on each constellation to give a short review on them. It was taking what I read and learned to being able to explain it to someone else. I also had to find visuals that showed the mythical character/item along with how its mapped in the sky. When I looked online to find these images and more research connected to my topic I was learning more about it at the same time. The readings did a long-detailed story of each constellation. Here I just associated it with something without describing the whole in-depth story.
3: This processed influenced my thinking on visualization as a vehicle for learning because it is being able to take what you know, learned, and researched and put it into a different platform. It gets us away from paper and pencil, basic apps, and changes how we present information. It is taking what they learned/know and applying it in a way they understand. Sometimes students don't understand something until they do it a different way. So, by engaging in visualization projects students can deepen their understanding as they work through creating it. Also, by giving options to the students also encourages engagement. I really enjoyed this platform. It was really easy to use. I see how I can add it into my scaffolding assignment. This may be a platform student use to create their project on a constellation. In my own classroom the use of visualization can be done in many ways. Just recently students created a brochure, PowerPoint with voice over, and next we will use flip grid.
Hey Cassandra,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really interesting presentation! I love constellations so it was cool to get to see them being highlighted in this way. You mentioned using this platform as an example for students but I like the idea of a review even more. My students have access to their notes outside of class but sometimes we go over stuff in more detail than is on the actual slide. Giving them access to something like this would allow them to have access to more detailed information. My CT is a big fan of Google Slides projects but we don't really have time for all of the students to present in class. This would be a great alternative to that!
Hey Cassandra, i really enjoyed your project. I think that you made a great point about how it can be used within your classroom and I fully agree. Students could use this as review or as supplementary to the activities or readings they are working through in class. I think this is very important to include in a lesson to fill in any missed information or areas that are in need of more support. It's awesome to hear that you are already using platforms like this in your class as well. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Cassandra,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the uniqueness of your visualization project. This most defiantly could be used in your classroom as a review of even a form of differentiation. Thanks for sharing, great job!